Friday, April 14, 2023

Mother's Day Poetry Reading May 12 !

Runyon will read poems honoring significant mother figures in her life at the Jackson County, NC Senior Center on May 12.  Her reading will follow the Mother's Day Luncheon at the Senior Center.    For a sample poem, see below.

Louise Morgan Runyon Poetry Reading

Jackson County, NC Senior Center, Friday, May 12, 11:45 a.m.

100 County Services Park, Sylva, NC 28779

Check out Runyon's new book if you haven't already:

Ordering Information

Where Is Our Prague Spring?:  $20 + $4 shipping


To purchase Where Is Our Prague Spring?, click on "Order  Books" on the menu to the left of this page.  You must click directly on the words "Order Books."


Sample Poem

the purple and the gold

dear ma, 

two months ago today I moved here, I left Atlanta and came back to these mountains I have always loved.  today I walked down to the river the back way, for the first time by myself.  I did fine.  it was a warm, sunny afternoon, and the fall flowers were in their full glory.

       walls of coreopsis-like yellow

       gigantic Joe-Pye weed, gray-pink

       spiky magenta tufted things, Kirsten says it’s ironweed

       whole banks of orange jewel weed, petite

       tiny lavender asters, slightly bigger white ones

       no blue chicory, no purple or white

       ageratum

 

       a handful of Queen Anne’s lace, mostly gone now 

                    – your favorite flower – I thought of you 

       the glittering river below

       the dark distant peaks beyond

       the goldenrod starting

       the surprise of fresh bright thistles, light purple –

       first ones I’ve seen this season, reminded me

       of Penland

 

       two single black-eyed Susans in the meadow by the river

       as a child I thought it was my cousin Susan’s

       personal flower

 

       the rush of the river around the island

       where Brian always wanted to camp

       the near green hill across the river

       rising straight up

      

       and there in two low areas, on the way back –

       near the spring and above the pond –

       the scarlet gift

       of lobelia

 dear ma

No comments: